Due to rising consumer demand for goods manufactured with natural, beneficial ingredients, particularly those that help to gut health, the probiotic drinks category is one of the fastest growing trends in the functional foods and beverages market. Even major corporations, like as PepsiCo, have jumped on the probiotic beverages bandwagon; in 2016, PepsiCo purchased KeVita, a sparkling probiotic beverage brand that can now be found in most major supermarkets.
If you’re unfamiliar with probiotic beverages, such as kombucha, kefir, and kvass, you might be amazed at how many options are now available. What is the purpose of a probiotic drink? Probiotic drink benefits include promoting digestion and gut health, fighting bacterial infections, and strengthening the immune system, as mentioned further below. probioticseverything.com probiotic water
Benefits of a Probiotic Drink
Probiotics, sometimes known as “good bacteria,” are live bacteria and yeasts that are useful to the digestive and immunological systems. They are defined as “microorganisms put into the body for their positive properties.” probioticseverything.com probiotic water
In today’s supermarket stores, you can get a variety of probiotic drinks, including:
- Kefir or “drinkable yogurt” are dairy probiotic drinks. Kefir varies from yogurt in that it is made with kefir grains and contains a variety of healthy gut bacteria strains. Kefir contains antibacterial, anticancer, anticarcinogenic, and immunomodulatory properties, as well as improving lactose digestion, according to numerous research.
- Tea and fruit-based probiotic beverages, the majority of which are referred to as kombucha and are created with tea, sugar, and yeast. For people who are lactose intolerant or sensitive to dairy, kombucha is a wonderful probiotic drink option.
- Fermented grain-based juices, such as kvass, a traditional Slavic and Baltic beer-like beverage with a sour flavor derived primarily from fermented rye bread.
- Fermented vegetable juices, such as those derived from green cabbage juice or red beet juice.
- Coconut kefir is a cultured coconut drink created with coconut water and kefir grains.
- Water kefir is a fermented drink created by combining kefir grains with sugar water. After that, the mixture is left to ferment for 24–48 hours. This contributes to the creation of an effervescent, probiotic-rich beverage filled with health advantages. Water kefir is dairy-free, has a thinner consistency than regular kefir, and is frequently flavored with fruit, vegetables, herbs, or spices.
- Probiotic-infused waters are flavored waters that have had additional probiotic strains added to them. Other healthy components like as lemon juice, ginger, cayenne pepper, or apple cider vinegar may be added depending on the brand.
Because of the varied probiotic strains present, each variety of probiotic beverage is unique. Lactic acid bacteria strains, particularly the Lactobacillus variety, have been intensively researched as health-promoting probiotics. Probiotics can also be found in probiotic supplements and fermented foods like yogurt, sauerkraut, and other cultured vegetables, as well as tempeh, natto, and miso (fermented soybeans). probioticseverything.com probiotic waterprobiotic water
Traditional diets, including those from North America, South America, Europe, and the Middle East, have included probiotic foods and drinks for hundreds of years. Kombucha, for example, is thought to have originated some 2,000 years ago in China and the Far East, while kefir, whose name comes from the Turkish word for “pleasant feeling,” has been drank throughout Europe and Asia since Biblical times. probioticseverything.com probiotic water
Here are just a few of the many advantages of probiotic drinks:
1. Aids Digestion and Supports Gut Health
The capacity of probiotic microorganisms to promote gastrointestinal functionality is the probiotic benefit that has received the most attention. Probiotics have been demonstrated to improve nutrient absorption and availability while also supporting gut health.
They are regarded for digestive health because they aid in maintaining the natural balance of bacterial organisms in our intestines, forcing out undesirable germs that might cause illness or symptoms such as bloating, diarrhea, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, and so on.
2. Defend Against Infections and Chronic Illnesses
Probiotics can help to improve the immune system and establish defenses against a variety of diseases. Including fermented foods in your diet on a regular basis can help prevent you from diseases including yeast infections and urinary tract infections. Certain high-quality probiotic drinks, such as kvass produced with beetroot juice, can naturally help cleanse the gallbladder, enhance bile flow, and support the liver in detoxifying the body by providing antioxidants.
Probiotics may also help avoid symptoms related with digestive disorders, skin troubles, candida, and recurrent colds and flus by increasing nutritional absorption and preventing free radical damage and inflammation. Probiotic foods and beverages have also been found to have antihypercholesterolemic and antihypertensive properties, which are beneficial to heart health.
3. It has the potential to improve mental health.
Did you know that the digestive system is the body’s “second brain” and is the second greatest portion of the neurological system? Probiotic bacteria aid in the creation of neurotransmitters and other substances that contribute to mental wellness and a happy mood.
Probiotics may also aid in the treatment of leaky gut syndrome and inflammatory responses, which can affect your mood and cause symptoms such as anxiety and exhaustion.
4. Can Aid in the Prevention of Allergies and Sensitivities
Consuming probiotic beverages and foods may help to lessen symptoms of lactose intolerance and the prevalence of food allergies by strengthening the immune system and helping to seal the GI tract, reducing leaky gut. probioticseverything.com probiotic water
5. Provides a Variety of Other Nutrients
Many probiotic drinks are an excellent source of protein, calcium, vitamin B12, and other minerals in addition to gut-friendly bacteria (depending on the kind). Kefir and drinkable yogurt, for example, are high in minerals, healthy fats, and protein, while fermented vegetable juices are high in antioxidants and vitamins such as vitamin C. Kombucha becomes carbonated during fermentation and contains B vitamins, enzymes, and a high concentration of helpful acids (acetic, gluconic and lactic). probioticseverything.com probiotic waterprobiotic water
Do probiotic drinks aid weight loss? Drinking probiotic beverages instead of sugary drinks like soda, juice, or beer could help you lose weight. Many probiotic beverages, such as kombucha, are lower in sugar and calories than bottled, sweetened beverages. Most individuals, however, use probiotic drinks to help restore healthy bacteria in their bellies rather than to lose weight.